We've got the remnant bins ready again, because Friday, November 22, 2013, from 8am to 5pm, is our next one-day, Fourth Friday of the Month Half-Price Remnants Sale!
Please Join us at our One and Only Louisville location as we Once Again offer you, our Customers, an Opportunity to Obtain Enormous Value on Engineering, Machinable and See-Through Plastic Remnants of sheet, rod and tube..
- We will be open our normal hours of 8am to 5pm.
- No Minimum Purchase Amount is Required for this Sale.
- Fax and e-mail requests will be accepted this month. We will do our best to fill them with any available remnants left after the sale ends at 5pm.
Please join us at our one and only Louisville location as we Once Again offer You our Customers, an Opportunity to Obtain Enormous Value on Engineering, Machinable and See-Through Plastic Remnants of sheet, rod and tube..
Colorado Plastic Products is located at 500 S. Arthur Ave, Louisville, CO 80027 (see map below or click here to open it in a new window):
Our regular business hours are M-F, 8am -5pm.
People sometimes ask us, "What is the difference between Delrin and acetal"?
Both names refer to a class of polymers known as polyoxymethylene or (POM), POM is also known as acetal, polyacetal and polyformaldehyde which are forms of an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts that require high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability. Examples of parts that are frequently machined from the acetal plastics, incuding Delrin, are wear strips, rollers, and bushings and other applications requiring a combination of strength, low moisture absorbtion, dimensional stability and chemical resistance.
Delrin is DuPont’s trade name for acetal homopolymer. Acetal is the name generally used in the plastics industry to refer to acetal copolymer.
Homopolymers are polymers that contain only a single type of subunit in their chain and copolymers are polymers containing a mixture of more than one type of subunit in their chain.
They each have their advantages and disadvantages.
At Colorado Plastics we generally recommend acetal (acetal copolymer) for plate shape applications and Delrin (acetal homopolymer) for rod shape applications.
Advantages of Delrin:
- Higher Crystallinity = somewhat better mechanical properties includind tensile strength, resistance to creep and impact strength
Advantages of Acetal:
- No centerline porosity
- Better property retention at elevated temperatures
- Frequently has lower resin and stock shape price
- Available as FDA compliant n both black and natural = white colors
- Better chemical resistance to fuels and solvents
Disadvantages of Delrin:
- Smaller number of resin producers can lead to higher prices, although at Colorado Plastics we can typically offer both Delrin and acetal at the same price
- Centerline porosity = midline cavitation at centerline of plate depth or crystalline dot at center of rod diameter
Disadvantages of Acetal:
- Lower crystallinity = somewhat lesser mechanical properties (although some data shows this difference goes away over 12 - 24 months of age of plastic parts)
For datasheets on Ensinger brand Delrin and acetal sheet, plate and solid round mechanical plastic rod: